For those who are reading these prayer points for the first time – do read the information at the bottom of this report which includes how this started and tips and pointers to help you during this COVID time.
Well here we are again – another National Lockdown in the UK and in many parts of Europe too. More than ever we need to be praying and depending on God to help us through this. As I was praying and thinking about what to say in these prayer points, I felt to remind you that every day in life we have choices to make. It’s those decisions that can change our lives. We can choose to be disappointed, discouraged, disillusioned – we can choose to grumble and complain, or we can decide to be grateful, to be thankful and to rejoice even though things are tough. Paul in Philippians 4 instructs us to “Rejoice and again I say rejoice.” He also said in verse 8 to think on things that were of good report etc. and if we look at his circumstances at that point, he was in prison not because of something he had done wrong, but because of his faith. He was in lockdown and it wasn’t his fault – yet he was encouraging us all to rejoice and to choose to think good and positive thoughts. We all know that it is the choices that we make that can change our world – we can choose to live in fear, pain, discouragement etc., or we can choose to accept the peace and joy that Jesus gives to us all. (See John 14:27 and John 15:11). I have a book called The Gift of Laughter and in it I talk about how at several times in my life I have chosen to smile when I had nothing to smile about. As I physically made my mouth smile, the very act of doing that helped to clear the cloud of despair. Try it and see the difference for yourself. Let’s decide – let’s make up our mind to choose to be thankful, to choose to be grateful, to choose to smile and laugh. Let’s be like the woman in Proverbs 31:25 who could laugh at the days to come. We can do this because we have a God who looks after us and can turn any bad situation into something so beautiful. Let’s praise instead of groaning; let’s show kindness and joy instead of fear. Remember God is with us and for us!
PRAYER POINTS FOR FRIDAY 8th January 2021
- The statistics all look horrendous as we see the Rate of Infection go up, the people catching COVID going up as well as the death rate increasing. Hospitals in London are being overwhelmed and some patients are being transferred to the South West to try and cope with the influx of patients needing treatment. But despite all this news, let’s keep our eyes on the Lord rather than on the circumstances. Let’s make sure we are praying for His will to be done on earth as it is in Heaven.
- Do pray for good and wise leadership. Pray for all MPs and for our Prime Minister. Pray for our Royal Family too. Pray protection for them all. Pray that they will turn to the only one who can help – our amazing God. Pray that in the night when they are by themselves, they will turn to the living God and cry out for him to help them. Wisdom is so important for those in power so pray that anyone who has influence will have a great measure of wisdom. Keep praying for truth and integrity too for all world leaders in these terrible times.
- Praise God for the vaccines that we have and pray for a great response from everyone who receives them. Pray that they will get these vaccines out quickly and safely. Our faith and trust, however, is not in the vaccine itself, it is in the Lord our God. Pray for protection for each person receiving the vaccine and pray too against the fear people have of taking it.
- We continue to be inspired by the NHS staff and care home staff who work so tirelessly on behalf of others. I have heard so many say when they come out of hospital how the staff have been superb. Let’s pray for good health and strength for them all. Pray for their mental and physical health. Pray too for those who are waiting for treatment for other illnesses such as cancer during this time – pray that they will be able to get the treatment they need at the correct time.
- I particularly feel we need to pray for those with mental and emotional problems. A third lockdown is not something that any of us were looking forward to, but it is especially hard for those with mental problems. Do pray for hope for them all. Pray that they will find hope and peace in the middle of this situation. Pray for children and young people in particular who are finding the disruption of education and trying to learn at home so hard. Pray for parents too who are trying to juggle working from home and home schooling. It’s particularly hard when there is no end in view for some time.
- Pray for all businesses who have been told to close – pray also for those who have lost their jobs because of this. Pray for provision for all and pray for a spirit of generosity and kindness to abound in every nation. Pray for the owners too who are struggling to make ends meet and have to make tough decisions. Pray for those businesses who had already been in lockdown and therefore this is extra tough for them. Pray for businesses all over the world that they would find innovative ideas to help them survive.
- Above all, let’s pray for a move of God like never before. Pray that as we keep our eyes on the Lord and not on our circumstances that we will see how we can help and not hinder God’s will being done on earth as it is in Heaven. Pray for those who love and know God to show those around us the peace and joy that Jesus so freely gives each of us. Pray that the church in the UK and elsewhere will experience this peace and joy and show a different spirit to all around. Pray that people will see a church united and be astonished by it. Pray that this in turn will lead them to ask questions and turn to God in prayer. Let’s pray for revival and a move of God in our nation and in our world like never before. We need God more now than ever before.
Do you need prayer? What a joy it has been to pray for those who have asked for prayer in recent months. We are seeing many answers to our prayers. Remember if you or others need prayer do drop us an email and we will pray. Don’t forget our prayer line if you or others need prayer – firstname.lastname@example.org
Let’s remember we are to be salt and light in our society. Let’s spread kindness, gentleness, generosity and the fragrance of Christ to all around. It’s only Christlike attitudes that will shed the light into people’s hearts and minds. If you need some encouragement yourself, then join me on our Spiritual Health Breakthrough on Tuesday February 2nd as we explore how much God delights and values each of us. You can find out about this by going on to my website nancygoudie.com. May God increase his presence around you as you hope and trust in him alone. Our joy, our peace and our life comes from Jesus – so let’s trust him and remember with him the best is always yet to come! Sending you all loads of love –
For those who are reading these prayer points for the first time, do read below:
Setting the scene
On 20th March I called for a National Day of Prayer, not only for the UK, but also for others who live further afield. A few days after it was over two friends contacted me and asked if I would do a National Prayer Day every Friday, and asked if I would continue to give some pointers each week for prayer. After prayer, I took up the challenge of doing just that. Thank you for joining us. To read previous prayer points and encouragements – go to www.nancygoudie.com/blog/
- Set your phone, your watch, your alarm clock or whatever to remind you to pray throughout the day. I would suggest praying every hour for a few minutes or for as long as you wish, but make a time that is suitable for yourself.
- Maybe pray for one of the above pointers every hour – or take one for each day of the week.
- Every time you wash your hands, which should be often – then pray a ‘Heal Our Nation’ prayer – sing or speak the lyrics of ‘Heal our Nation’ and ask God to pour out his Spirit on this land. ‘Heal our Nation, Heal our Nation, Heal our Nation, pour out your Spirit on this land.’ Sing or speak that twice. And finish with the first line from the verse ‘Lord we long for you to move in power’ – and ask God to move in the UK but also move in our world. https://soundcloud.com/nancygoudie/heal-our-nation
- Keep reading Psalm 91, Psalm 121 and Psalm 46 to encourage yourself and your family with the truth of the word of God. Perhaps try meditating on Psalm 62:5-6 – Find rest, O my Soul in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress; I will not be shaken.
- Use the UK Blessing – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUtll3mNj5U Play it in your home – make this as a wonderful blessing on you and your family, your children and their children. When you go a walk pray it over your neighbourhood. The song was written in Elevation church, USA. You can watch here and discover how the song came together in the presence of the Lord – no wonder this song is being used at this time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp6aygmvzM4&feature=emb_rel_end