On 20th March I called for a National Day of Prayer, not only for the UK, but also for others who live further afield. A few days after it was over two friends contacted me and asked if I would do a National Prayer Day every Friday, and asked if I would continue to give some pointers each week for prayer. After prayer, I took up the challenge of doing just that. Please listen to my original video calling for prayer if you haven’t heard it already – it sets the scene for what we would want to do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_w9dLCcSOY
I am aware that many, are getting weary – weary from this virus, weary from things being far from normal, weary from the fight and the struggle, weary from the injustice they see and weary from what seems to be a world with never ending problems. First and foremost, God knows and he understands. He will bring us through this unusual time and you need to remember that through every struggle he is there with us. Someone asked me this week, “Nancy in the midst of all the heartache that I am seeing, where is God?” It’s a good question, but it is easily answered. God is not absent when we are going through troubles, instead he surrounds us, he goes before us, he is behind us, he beside us, he is all around us and he lives inside us. He couldn’t be more involved in all our troubles. Sometimes we feel his presence and at other times we don’t, but whether we do or we don’t sense him, we can be assured of this truth that he is there – always! He promises never to leave us nor to forsake us and through all my many years of knowing Jesus, I know this promise has never been broken. So, if today you are feeling weary, if today you are in pain or feeling troubled, or if in fact like my friend you have asked the question, “Where are you God?”, then be sure of this, he is closer than a brother, he is inside you helping you in every way. He calls to you saying, “Come to me you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest (Matthew 11:28). Woohoo! Our rest and peace lie in running to him and trusting in him. Jesus died so that we could be free. Hand over your troubles to him. Be honest with him and tell him your woes. He knows, he understands and he is working right now on your behalf to help you in your problems. Remember Romans 8:28 – All things work together for good to those who love God.
Let’s be assured of this – that our God is true and our God is faithful. This virus and our troubles won’t last forever so even in the midst of fear, pain and worry, rejoice and be glad for you have a God who cares enough to carry you and to give you rest when you are weary.
PRAYER POINTS FOR FRIDAY 31st July:-
- Let’s start with praying for our government. They receive so much criticism – and no matter who was in power it would be the same. Whatever they do – it always seems to be wrong or not enough. This week they made a quick decision regarding the virus to safe guard our country, and they were criticised for it. When they took time to consider what to do in times gone by, they were criticised for being too slow. It seems like whatever they do – the media criticise them. Let’s not do that – whatever our political leanings, instead, let’s pray for them. Pray for Boris Johnson, pray for all MP’s whether in the government or the opposition. Pray for their aids and advisors. Pray for those who are Christians that they would make a positive influence wherever God has placed them. Pray for wisdom for our leaders and pray that they individually find God for themselves.
- Continue to thank God that the number of deaths are continuing to fall in the UK. However, do pray for the number of new cases – as this number continues to rise. The virus has not gone, and more people are being registered as having the virus. Pray for the overall rate of infection to go down – particularly in places like Oldham, Blackburn and other places in the north where new restrictions are being put in place to avoid the full lockdown measures that Leicester has had. Pray for the eradication of this virus. Pray too for those working on a vaccine, pray for supernatural wisdom and that a good and safe vaccine will be found and be able to be mass produced.
- Continue to pray for good reporting from the media both in the newspapers but also on the news. Smith Wigglesworth never read anything but the Bible because he didn’t want his mind to be infiltrated by anything other than the Lord. I do understand why he did this. Throughout each day so many other voices penetrate our minds from our televisions, computers and our reading materials and those voices are not always good. Let’s pray for God fearing men and women to be in places of influence in the media to bring integrity and honour into our society. As I have said before many get disturbed by bad reporting so this is important that the media get it right.
- We continue to praise God for our NHS and for all caring professions all over the world. Pray for surgeons, doctors, nurses, care workers, dentists, assistants, cleaners, receptionists and everyone putting themselves at risk so that we can get the help and treatment we need. Pray for each person entering the hospitals in our world whether as a patient or as a worker. Pray for protection for each one. Pray also against fear – so many people have fear in their hearts and this causes more physical problems that can lead to fatal illnesses.
- Pray for the economy in the UK but also across the whole world. Pray for many businesses who are finding it so difficult to keep their heads above the water. Pray for supernatural provision for individuals and for businesses. Do continue to pray for those who have lost their jobs, pray for provision for every one of them. Pray that their situation would turn their hearts towards God.
- Pray for those who have been in abusive situations during lockdown. Many of them are speaking out about their traumas. Pray for healing for each of them. Pray that they will get the help they need. Pray that in their traumas that they find the healing power of God. Continue to pray for those with mental health concerns. As I said last week even those who don’t normally struggle with mental health problems are discovering this time very challenging. Pray for peace – not just any peace but for Jesus’ peace (John 14:27) – the kind that passes all understanding! Pray too for joy and again pray for Jesus’ joy (John 15:11) – the kind of joy that took Jesus through a barbaric death on a cross. Pray that each person would discover hope in our Lord and find their heart being encouraged and their mental health problems healed.
- So many in the UK and in our world need to find our Lord. Pray for a great awakening to spread throughout our land and indeed our world. Pray for many to find God in the midst of suffering and pain. Pray for revival and for God to send his angels to help us all at this time. May every church think of how they can reach out to those who are struggling in our nation – we have such an opportunity right now to show kindness and to see many won for Jesus. Let’s pray like never before. More is happening that we can yet see. Know this: our Lord loves our world much more than we do – so pray knowing that he hears every word and he is moving in these days.
- Set your phone, your watch, your alarm clock or whatever to remind you to pray throughout the day.I would suggest praying every hour for a few minutes or for as long as you wish, but make a time that is suitable for yourself.
- Maybe pray for one of the above pointers every hour – or take one for each day of the week.
- Every time you wash your hands, which should be often – then pray a ‘Heal Our Nation’ prayer – sing or speak the lyrics of ‘Heal our Nation’ and ask God to pour out his Spirit on this land. ‘Heal our Nation, Heal our Nation, Heal our Nation, pour out your Spirit on this land.’ Sing or speak that twice. And finish with the first line from the verse ‘Lord we long for you to move in power’ – and ask God to move in the UK but also move in our world. https://soundcloud.com/nancygoudie/heal-our-nation
- Keep reading Psalm 91, Psalm 121 and Psalm 46 to encourage yourself and your family with the truth of the word of God.Perhaps try meditating on Psalm 62:5-6 – Find rest, O my Soul in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress; I will not be shaken.
- Use the UK Blessing – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUtll3mNj5U Play it in your home – make this as a wonderful blessing on you and your family, your children and their children. When you go a walk pray it over your neighbourhood. The song was written in Elevation church, USA. You can watch here and discover how the song came together in the presence of the Lord – no wonder this song is being used at this time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp6aygmvzM4&feature=emb_rel_end
What a joy it has been to pray for those who have asked for prayer in recent weeks. Remember if you or others need prayer do drop us an email and we will pray. Don’t forget our prayer line if you or others need prayer – firstname.lastname@example.org
Remember whatever situation you find yourself today – he knows, he loves and he cares. He will never leave you on your own, he is with you always. Every morning whilst exercising, I play The Blessing which reminds me that his favour is on me. His favour is on you too – if you have forgotten that fact, then listen again to The Blessing and receive the truth that he is for you and with you and his favour rests on us. Woohoo – what a blessing! Enjoy praying knowing that every prayer is making a huge difference whether we see it or not. With love to you all – NANCY GOUDIE