Setting the scene
On 20th March I called for a National Day of Prayer, not only for the UK, but also for others who live further afield. A few days after it was over two friends contacted me and asked if I would do a National Prayer Day every Friday, and asked if I would continue to give some pointers each week for prayer. After prayer, I took up the challenge of doing just that. Thank you for joining us. To read previous prayer points and encouragements – go to www.nancygoudie.com/blog/
Before you begin to pray – soak yourself in Psalm 139: 1-18 – Passion Translation. This is who he is and how God loves and looks after you! Wow! His love will never fail you! He’s gone into your future to prepare the way – how wonderful is that? No fear of the future – for he has already gone there! Wonderful…. Everything he does is marvellously breathtaking! Have a read and be encouraged – then pray for our nation and for our world. Pray that all men and women everywhere would know this is how our God loves them!
Psalm 139: 1 – 18 – The Passion Translation
Lord, you know everything there is to know about me.
You perceive every movement of my heart and soul,
and you understand my every thought before it even enters my mind.
You are so intimately aware of me, Lord.
You read my heart like an open book
and you know all the words I’m about to speak
before I even start a sentence!
You know every step I will take before my journey even begins.
You’ve gone into my future to prepare the way,
and in kindness you follow behind me
to spare me from the harm of my past.
With your hand of love upon my life,
you impart a blessing to me.
This is just too wonderful, deep, and incomprehensible!
Your understanding of me brings me wonder and strength.
Where could I go from your Spirit?
Where could I run and hide from your face?
If I go up to heaven, you’re there!
If I go down to the realm of the dead, you’re there too!
If I fly with wings into the shining dawn, you’re there!
If I fly into the radiant sunset, you’re there waiting!
Wherever I go, your hand will guide me;
your strength will empower me.
It’s impossible to disappear from you
or to ask the darkness to hide me,
for your presence is everywhere, bringing light into my night.
There is no such thing as darkness with you.
The night, to you, is as bright as the day;
there’s no difference between the two.
You formed my innermost being, shaping my delicate inside
and my intricate outside,
and wove them all together in my mother’s womb.
I thank you, God, for making me so mysteriously complex!
Everything you do is marvelously breathtaking.
It simply amazes me to think about it!
How thoroughly you know me, Lord!
You even formed every bone in my body
when you created me in the secret place,
carefully, skillfully shaping me from nothing to something.
You saw who you created me to be before I became me!
Before I’d ever seen the light of day,
the number of days you planned for me
were already recorded in your book.
Every single moment you are thinking of me!
How precious and wonderful to consider
that you cherish me constantly in your every thought!
O God, your desires toward me are more
than the grains of sand on every shore!
When I awake each morning, you’re still with me.
Now, knowing how God loves us, his creation – let’s pray!
PRAYER POINTS FOR FRIDAY 23rd October
- There is no doubt that our nation and our world is in a mess – if we look with our natural eyes….but we must keep looking with the eyes of faith. The infection rates remains just above 1 (around 1.2 – 1.5). Let’s continue to pray for this to come down. Let’s push through in prayer and see the answers only God can bring. Pray that hospital admissions level out and then fall. We must remember that although the death rate is continuing to rise, if we do our best and comply with the government guidelines and pray – we can see this come back down. The death rates are nothing like what they were in March and April so let’s encourage each other to do our bit and pray for our land and our world. Let’s continue to raise our voices and praise our living Lord knowing that his love and power is able to keep us all safe during this COVID time. Continue to pray that those who do get COVID-19 will recover quickly with no long-term health problems. Pray too for those who have long term problems at the moment (longCOVID) – do pray that their symptoms disappear soon. Pray against the fear of this virus and pray for our nation and the nations of the world to experience our supernatural God.
- Pray for each area of the UK to continue to observe the rules and see this virus come under control. Pray for those who live in Level 2 and 3 in particular. Pray that people will comply with the government rules and that we will be out of these restrictions soon. Pray for the many places in Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and Wales that are suffering badly. Pray for people’s mental and emotional health as well as their physical health too. Pray for those in care homes and hospitals who cannot see their family members – pray for the vulnerable – there are many who are finding life tough. Remember what Paul wrote during a time that he was restricted and was in prison – I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances (Philippians 4:11). it is possible to be content no matter what we are facing in life. Pray for hope – real hope – to arise in our nation and in our world.
- Our government has come under a great deal of criticism during this crisis – but whether we agree or not with what is being said, the Bible calls for us to pray for our leaders. So, let’s do that with a good heart and pray for much wisdom to be given to them at this time. Pray for Boris Johnson and all the government officials. Pray for the opposition and pray for good working relationships between all MP’s. Continue to pray for sensitivity and for grace from all who lead. Pray for strength and determination to fight this virus. Pray for supernatural touches on their lives. Pray for our leaders to call upon the name of our Lord. We once were a Christian nation, let’s pray for a return to our God and for our nation to know the love of the Lord on their lives. Pray for the Christians who are in key positions in our government that they will hear the wisdom that comes from Heaven and pass it on. Pray for leaders all over the world. Pray for good and wise leadership not just in the UK but all over our world. Pray against the evil that wants to divide and conquer and pray that many will find God for themselves. Pray for the American election – that God’s person will succeed and that the division in the USA will be healed.
- We have seen during last week a real change in the Universities – the result of our prayers is that the infections are coming down….please do pray that this continues and that our young people are free from this virus. Pray that the students will continue to adhere to the rules from the government and that they will discover in the midst of this virus a faith in God that can change everything. Pray that the infection rate will reduce so much that face to face teaching can happen once again. Pray for Christian organisations that work with students that despite lockdown that their message of hope and freedom will reach each student. Continue to pray for teachers and school children at this time too. Pray that this virus will not affect the schools’ education. Pray a protection on all young people.
- Pray for our NHS staff and for all who work in hospitals and health care. The rate of people being admitted to hospital is growing, so do pray that they will continue to have space and help for all who need it. The NHS is such a blessing to us all at this time. Pray for each staff member whether a surgeon or a cleaner – each one is helping to make this incredible health care system work. Pray that each health care staff members will be kept safe and well. Pray for each one to feel encouraged and valued as they serve their patients. Give them wisdom and strength as they face each day. Continue to pray for a safe vaccine to be found. Also pray with faith for a supernatural release of God’s healing power across the world. Many are being healed supernaturally – lets pray for this to continue, but also pray that many will be healed through the medical professions.
- So many people are at a loss as to how to survive financially through this time. Let’s pray that their loss will encourage them to seek God like never before. Pray for businesses all over the UK who are struggling particularly in the hospitality sector and the entertainment world. Do pray for a way forward for them. Pray for wisdom and encouragement for them all. We are called at this time to pray for the well-being of our nation and of our world. Pray for God’s blessing on them; pray for peace and prosperity. As God told his people Israel in Jeremiah 29:7 – Seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper. God told the nation of Israel to pray for those who had captured them – pray for their economy and pray for their well-being. God was saying that as they pray for the city in which they live, they too will be prosper. So, let’s pray for others who are struggling – pray for peace and prosperity for them, pray for the city or town you live in, pray for local businesses to prosper and grow and what you are praying for them – will come to you too.
- More than ever – let’s pray for revival to come. Pray for a deep move of God’s Spirit in your own heart and in the hearts of your family members. Pray for your city, your town, your nation that many will turn to God and seek his face. Pray for deep repentance in our own lives as well as others. Let’s not point out the sin in others, instead, let’s all be accountable to God for what we do and say. Let’s pray for that Tidal Wave of God’s Spirit to crash onto England and spread throughout the British Isles. Pray for revival for your own land and the nations of the world. Pray that many will turn to God in this huge time of need. Pray against the fear and the pain in people’s hearts and lives. Let’s turn to the God of ALL HOPE and know the depths of his love and peace. He is for us and He is with us. He is faithful and he loves each of us with an everlasting love. Woohoo! Pray for revival for us all.
Do you need prayer? What a joy it has been to pray for those who have asked for prayer in recent months. We are seeing many answers to our prayers. Remember if you or others need prayer do drop us an email and we will pray. Don’t forget our prayer line if you or others need prayer – firstname.lastname@example.org
Another couple of verses to encourage you as we go into another week. God spoke to the nation of Israel in Jeremiah when they were going through a tough and difficult time. Their streets were empty – it says in Jeremiah 33 that it was a desolate waste without men or animals. Yet God spoke his encouragement to their nation and said: v10-11 – In the towns of Judah and the streets of Jerusalem that are deserted, inhabited by neither men nor animals, there will be heard once more – the sounds of joy and gladness, the voices of bride and bridegroom and the voices of those who bring thank-offerings to the house of the Lord saying, Give thanks to the Lord Almighty for the Lord is good; his love endures forever, For I will restore the fortunes of the land as they were before, says the Lord. I am clinging on to God at this time, asking him to restore the fortunes of our land in every way especially in our spiritual lives. Let’s trust in our almighty God whose heart of love will never fail to disappoint us. Have a great week and make each day count – with much love – NANCY x