Setting the scene
On 20th March I called for a National Day of Prayer, not only for the UK, but also for others who live further afield. A few days after it was over two friends contacted me and asked if I would do a National Prayer Day every Friday, and asked if I would continue to give some pointers each week for prayer. After prayer, I took up the challenge of doing just that. Please listen to my original video calling for prayer if you haven’t heard it already – it sets the scene for what we would want to do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_w9dLCcSOY
I heard something this last week that made me want to cry with sadness, shout with disappointment and pray with humility asking God to forgive our land. A number of weeks ago I sent a letter to our Queen and to our Prime Minister, but as yet have had no reply. However, a lady I know sent a letter to the Queen a week or so before me. Both of us were asking the Queen to initiate a National Day of Prayer. We talked in our letters how we need to cry to God for his mercy and grace. I spoke in my letter about the Queen’s father, King Gorge VI who called our nation to pray during World War 2 and when he did, miracles happened. The lady who wrote before me received a reply from the Queen saying that it was not her place to call for a National Day of Prayer, but rather it was the Government’s call. This last week, I received a message from someone else who had written to the Government asking for a National Day of Prayer and she was told it was not the Government’s place to initiate a National Day of Prayer rather it is the church. Great sadness came over me when I read those words. One person passing the responsibility to another. There seems to be no respect or urgency for prayer and that rather than initiate a day of prayer, our God is ignored. It drove me to pray and seek God’s forgiveness on behalf of our nation. For too long we have ignored our God. We have turned our backs on the one who can save us. This week, let’s pray asking God to forgive our land and in his grace to show us mercy. I also heard this week of the Governor of Texas, USA, encouraging the people of Texas to lean on the Lord Jesus Christ and trust him through this crisis. Many throughout the world are crying out on God, yet the UK, a supposed Christian nation, resists the cry for prayer. We, as people, need to cry out to God more now than ever before. Join with me in asking God for forgive our land and heal our world.
Ps. Today as I am beginning to write these points for prayer, I heard a call to have a minute’s silence at 11am today for the key workers who had died during this time. I was thankful for the minutes silence, but sad that this is possibly the closest we will come to having a call to prayer.
PRAYER POINTS FOR FRIDAY 1st MAY –
- It was good to see Boris Johnson back in office this week. Let’s cry out to God for him and his ministers. They have an unenviable job of steering us through this crisis. Let’s pray for wisdom and discernment for them all. Pray also for Boris and Carrie and protection on them and their new born baby. The Bible calls us to pray for our leaders and those in authority over us, so let’s continue to pray for our Government. Let’s pray that they will recognise their need for God and turn to him in prayer and seek his wisdom. Remember it says in the Bible that those who lack wisdom should ask God for it, so let’s pray our Government does that. Pray as they consider what to do about restarting the economy and lifting some of the restrictions. They need immense wisdom and we know where that comes from. Pray that people in the opposition parties will not start to point out the mistakes instead may they work together to see our land healed. Our leaders are facing things that we as humanity have never faced before.
- Pray for a Vaccine – this is most important as they say that we cannot get back to normal, until a vaccine has been found and tested. Pray for a safe, strong vaccine. Pray for God’s answer to emerge. Pray also for all those who work in health care all over the world. Pray too for the NHS in this country and also for the Care workers in Care homes. Pray that God will protect them. Pray that they will receive the PPE that they need. Let’s support them with our prayers at this time. Pray a huge protection on those in care homes. So many of them have died – they reckon around 5000 elderly people in care have died in the last couple of weeks. Let’s pray that the elderly people in cares homes are protected and that those caring for them are protected too. Also pray for the families of those who have died that they are comforted at this time.
- Pray against this virus – that it will die quickly and not come back again. There have been about 28,000 deaths in the hospitals and care homes from Coronavirus in the UK. The good news is that the death totals in the hospitals are going down. This is good news. Let’s keep praying that the deaths continue to go down. However, the deaths in care homes continue to go up – please pray urgently about this. Some more good news is that the people being infected by the virus is also going down in the UK. Let’s praise God for this and continue to pray for these numbers to continue to go down. Let’s continue to pray that those who have the virus will, in their weakness, turn to God and cry out for help. Your prayers are making a difference!
- Pray for people’s mental and emotional health. People are beginning to struggle with staying at home. There are a small number of people not adhering to the Governments guidelines. We are hearing of people driving their cars at over 100 miles an hour on the motorway. On the road beside my house – it’s a 40 mile an hour speed limit, I have seen many cars speeding at 70 mph or above on that road recently. Please pray for people to adhere to what the Government are saying. It’s so important that we keep order in our nation. Pray that during this time of isolation that people will know a sense of peace in the midst of this panic. Pray for people’s mental and emotional health.
- Do continue to pray for the most vulnerable of our society. Pray for those who find being in their own homes the most dangerous place to be. This week we heard on the news that many more people are calling the helplines than ever before. Many deaths have happened because of abuse since this crisis started. Let’s pray for the vulnerable men, women and children during this time. Pray their lives will be protected from the abusers within their homes. Pray for those who are vulnerable health wise too who have been told to self-isolate for 12 weeks. Pray that they will find comfort in the kindness from neighbours, family, friends and of course through God at this time. Pray for God’s protection to be around all those who are vulnerable at this time.
- Do remember to pray for supernatural occurrences with people’s finances. Pray for God’s answer for the economy. I have known God’s provision for me, my family and ngm for many years as we have lived by faith for finance, let’s pray for many to have the courage to ask God for provision to help them at this time. Many are distraught about the future – but we know that our good God has the future in his hands. So, let’s pray for encouragement and faith at this time and also for a release of supernatural acts of kindness to happen.
- More than ever cry out to God for many to come to know him in the UK. We live in a very secular society, but pray than during this crisis, people will turn to God for help and strength and of course for answers. There’s an old song that says, Jesus is the Answer for the world today, Above Him there’s no other, Jesus is the way. We know this to be true so let’s pray others will find that to be true too. Pray that many will find that Jesus is the only answer for the world today. Pray for supernatural encounters with the living God. Pray for a global awareness of God’s love and for revival to come. Let’s pray and beseech God like never before. Remember – Jesus is the answer!
- Set your phone, your watch, your alarm clock or whatever to remind you to pray throughout the day. I would suggest praying every hour for a few minutes or for as long as you wish, but make a time that is suitable for yourself.
- Maybe pray for one of the above pointers every hour – or take one for each day of the week.
- Every time you wash your hands, which should be often – then pray a ‘Heal Our Nation’ prayer – sing or speak the lyrics of ‘Heal our Nation’ and ask God to pour out his Spirit on this land. ‘Heal our Nation, Heal our Nation, Heal our Nation, pour out your Spirit on this land.’ Sing or speak that twice. And finish with the first line from the verse ‘Lord we long for you to move in power’ – and ask God to move in the UK but also move in our world. https://soundcloud.com/nancygoudie/heal-our-nation
- Keep reading Psalm 91, Psalm 121 and Psalm 46 to encourage yourself and your family with the truth of the word of God. Perhaps try meditating on Psalm 62:5-6 – Find rest, O my Soul in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress; I will not be shaken.
During the last ten days, I am finding myself crying more than ever for many who are hurting. Sometimes my tears surprise me, but when I cry, I turn them into prayers. Prayers that God will heal our nation and heal our world. Join me in turning our tears and our sadness into prayers that we will see miracles happen in Jesus’ name. Allow the Holy Spirit to cry through you. Our prayers may be weak, but his prayers are strong. We may not know what to say, but he speaks powerfully with sounds and groans that words cannot express (Romans 8:26). Let him intercede through you today (Romans 8:27). This virus cannot stay; it has to go in Jesus’ name. Let’s pray from a place of Victory for we know that ALL things work together for good for those who love God (Romans 8:28). Remember nothing, including this awful virus, can separate us from the love of God (Romans 8:36-39)
If ever the enemy tells you that your prayers are not effective, just remember that he shakes with fear when he sees even the weakest person on his knees. God is with you and God is with me – so let’s pray believing, let’s pray trusting and let’s see the victory in Jesus’ name – remember you are awesome! NANCY GOUDIE